potatoes (chopped): 250 grams
cabbage (chopped): 75 grams
cauliflower (chopped): 100 grams
tomatoes (chopped finely): 250 to 300 grams
brinjal (cut into big pieces): 2
green peas: 250 grams
onions: 250 grams
garlic: 8 to 10 cloves
butter: 3 table spoons
ghee: 3 table spoons
oil: 3 table spoons
cumin seeds: 1/2 tea spoon
ginger: small piece
green chilli paste: 2 tea spoons
capsicum (chopped finely): 2
red chilli powder: 1 tea spoon
turmeric powder: 1/2 tea spoon
cumin powder: 2 tea spoons
pav bhaji masala: 2 tea spoon
salt to taste
1. Steam potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, brinjal, capsicums and ginger green peas together.
2. Chop onions finely.
3. Heat 4 table spoons oil in a vessel. Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, onions and garlic paste. Cook for some time. Spring onions may also be used.
4. Add the ginger and green chilli paste and fry for 3 to 5 min. Add 2 table spoons ghee. Add red chilli powder, dhana jeera, turmeric powder and pav bhaji masala. Cook for 2 to 3 min.
5. Add the tomatoes and very little water. Cook for 2 min. Add the mashed vegetables and lime juice. Decorate with coriander leaves and onions
6. Cut the pau from the middle. Heat ghee on the tava. Roast the bread slice for a few min.
7. Chop onions, cabbage and tomatoes finely. Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander leaves, lime juice and chat masala.
8. Serve hot bhaji with pau and onions.